Tuesday 1 May 2012

Cricket v/s Rain- The cover play - Part I

My best friend Pinku aka Poornima called me a few days ago and asked me if I could go with her to the (Indian Premier League) IPL cricket match which was happening in Bangalore on the 25th of April 2012 at 8 p.m. I, who didn't even know who were playing whom, agreed to go with her with full excitement. On the 24th, dad told that, the match was between Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) and Chennai Super Kings (CSK).

25th Wednesday, I was so not feeling well (had severe cold n throat pain) but still took tablets and was looking forward for the match, and to visit the stadium for the first time with Pinku. Thinking that I need to save all my energy to shout and jump in the evening, I called my boss and called the day off to work. Woke up from my bed in a dizzy state and took a shower. As soon as I took a shower I felt really better and thought I can go for work. By calling my boss again, informed that I would be going to work. Leaving my house at around 10.15, reached office by 11.15 with all the traffic and sweat due to the hot and sunny weather. It was so sunny that day, that I was frequently feeling I was going blind looking outside the window.

Me and Pinku waving the RCB flags


It was 12.30 p.m and my condition was getting worse. I started feeling really cold and sick, as the weather also was becoming cloudy and starting to drizzle. My friend Deepak was supposed to come and pick me up by 5.15 p.m and till then I slept off as I was feeling very tired and kind of slogged. I had second thoughts about going to the match that day as I had to leave for a camp the next day. But Pinku and Deepak were compelling me to go with them and I agreed. At around 5.35 p.m, Deepak picked me up and we left for the stadium. It was pouring all through the way and ironically some bollywood song was playing in the radio "Paani re Paani".

We were 10 people in our group who decided to go to the stadium together. Each one of us had a strong hope that the match will go on, in spite of the rain. By the time we reached the stadium in the middle of all the Bangalore - IPL traffic, they had announced that the match might get delayed and start by 9 p.m. We somehow managed to get a parking space for our car near the central library inside Cubbon park. We had to all the way walk from the central library to the Chinnaswamy stadium Gate-9. I had worn a thick jacket which was keeping me warm, but it didn't have a hood for my head. We walked in the rain till gate-9 where 4 of our friends were waiting including Pinku.

Pinku was super-excited as she was going to the stadium for the first time. She had also bought an RCB jersey on the footpath near the stadium and flaunting it. She was wearing the jersey on top of the already worn kurti with white pajama (the white pajama didn't remain completely white after that). We showed our 330 rupees ticket and they let us (Me, Pinku, Deepak, Maddy, Neha, Chinmayi, Simha, Yash, Praveen and Sneha) in, after all the security checking. Bangalore never runs away for rains and storms!! The whole stadium was filled and every RCB fan was shouting on top his/her voice. There were announcements happening now and then about when the match might start. Finally they announced that they were going to do a pitch test.



All the CSK and RCB players rushed into the ground when the whole stadium was flooded with blood-red RCB flags. Though there were a few CSK fans and their flags, they were in an ignorable number. The pitch and the surrounding out-ground of the ground was covered with plastic sheets to be protected from the rain. There were around minimum 50 men who took care of the plastic sheet and at least 4-6 vehicles, which absorbed the water, which fell on top of the sheets. All of us especially me, Pinku and Neha were posing for different pictures after which I was tired and started feeling really cold.....

2 comments:

  1. Watching any sporting event in a stadium is an awesome experience. Hope the rain gods are more favorable towards you next time around. :)

    ReplyDelete